Home Multiplex Blizzard
27 | 06 | 2017
Facebook Image
Multiplex Blizzard Build Review Print
Written by Administrator   
Tuesday, 29 July 2008 05:00

Multiplex Blizzard - Build Review by James Hindle


After seeing the pictures from the Nuremberg Toy fair and suffering motor mount fatigue on my aging Acromaster I knew the solution .... Blizzard. I'm not

usually one for powered gliders but the opportunity to recycle the 'expensive bits' from the Acromaster was too much for me. I waited patiently for the release date which went back and back until a post on www.RCGroups.com in early July alerted me to the fact that it had finally been released, unfortunately my local model shop had not got any and could not give me a release date so I was forced down the mail order route and found stock at www.modelspot.com. After raiding my daughters piggy bank (yes I am ashamed but she does like planes !) and searching the sofas and under the car seats I scraped together the cash and hit the all important 'BUY' button. A couple of days later it arrived. the excitement was too much for me and I left work early to 'play' with my new 'toy'. I was surprised at the very small box but after opening it gazed in awe of the marvelous engineering.... not the model but the packaging that ensured all the components arrived in tip top condition. Thumbing through the instruction manual I found that I needed to buy a spinner and some mpx connectors, luckily the local model shop had these in stock which saved postage but note to anyone reading this the 5mm prop adaptor does not have the correct size retaining nut so you will need a 6mm nut.

Close inspection of the surfaces revealed that multiplex must have adopted a new moulding technique. Although the model is Elapor it is very high density gone are the dimples common in previous multiplex kits. another thing that struck me was the large number of channels present on the surfaces, after reading the manual i found that there was 8.5m of fibre glass rod waiting to be cut and glued but more on this later.

First up was the fuselage, this was pretty straightforward, the model is a v-tail and can be setup elevator only (one servo) or elevator / rudder (two servos), I opted for the latter and as only 5mm movement advised opted for the BRC high torque micro servos. Installation was very tight and the is a 1mm channel cut down the middle for the servo wires so no servo extensions allowed then. I found that the channel was not wide enough for the extension lead wire so I had to carve some Elapor, if I had known this before I would have bought the ultra light extension leads, also the manual suggest 30mm extensions, take my advice and go for 40mm !. Once the servos are in and the wires concealed there's just the wing retaining plate to fit (remember to insert the retaining nuts before you do this !) and glue it together (but read the next section before you do ).......

Multiplex designed a ballast box in the tail and included 3 heavy steel balls to accommodate most motor sizes, as i went for a porky AXI 2820/10 I need all 3 for balance

The multiplex connectors were next up although time consuming it was quite straightforward soldering them together, the manual explains which wire to connect where, remember to join the connectors together before soldering to ensure the pins stay in the correct position. Looking back I strongly advise everyone going down the mpx connector route to complete the wing first, that way you can dry fit all the components to get the correct balance point, its quite tight under the wing for the lipo pack and anyone going 4S will struggle unless they bend the pins 90 degrees, if you need to do this then do it before you glue the fuselage together !


Onto the wings, the instructions alert you to the importance of accurately fitting the carbon spars, I found this particularly awkward as the manual advises you to CA the wing roots together first, although this is straightforward the wing tips flare upwards and the carbon spars are fitted to the underside so unless you have a raised surface you are in for a tough time. Installing the spars wasn't a problem, Ca was applied sparingly to the channels as per the instruction and the spars inserted with fingers spread across, the tightness of the fit mean that some CA seeped through on top of the spars but by now my fingerprints were unrecognisable and I'd got used to the heat of accelerated cyano on the skin ! After the carbon spars can the bulk of the FG rod 22 lengths to be precise with the added complication that the majority needed to be profiled across the wing section, although not pretty I installed them using 2 jewellers flat head screwdrivers to ensure they were pressed into the groove fully, note that the abutment to the main FG rod was important for tortional strength.

Servo installation was straightforward, after researching I opted for the HS56HB (from the acromaster), a little sanding of the preformed opening is required but the fit easily, I suffered the same problem with the extensions but this was overcome with some widening of the recesses.


Motor installation was not a problem, I opted for the AXI 2820/10 (from the Acromaster), if your going for a high power setup you will need 15mm bolts to fix the motor. The Lipos were 4S 2200 Zippy-r from www.hobbycity.com which balanced (with ballast) just infornt of the MPS connector. The canopy is ABS moulded to look like carbon cloth and is a very nice fit, all in all the model went together well, the GRP rod was a pain and cyano is still evident on my fingers. I'll hopefully maiden later this week and will update this mini review.....