Home CMPro AT-6 Texan
19 | 08 | 2017
Facebook Image
CMPro AT-6 Texan Print
Friday, 07 March 2008 10:42

CMPro - CHINA MODEL PRODUCTIONS - AT- 6 TEXAN - 160 size - Built by Stuart Josephs


 

 

Not content with only getting as far as building the wings of the giant Corsair, I was attracted to the AT-6 Texan & couldn't resist buying this ARF kit. And very nice it is too, with its 82" wingspan.


Fibreglass fuselage & cowl with built up covered wings & tail plane. The kit comes with everything needed except of course, engine, retracts & servos. It's available in two colour schemes, Silver/Black or Red/Yellow. I went for latter.

First thing I did was to search for retracts. Whilst Robart offer a suitable set, I found a picture of the centre wing section with retracts in place, on the Sierra Giant Scale site. CMP AT-6 Main Retracts Priced at $260 approx £130 I bought them and I'm pleased to say avoided Customs this time.

Click Here to go to The Sierra Giant Scale Products Page & See our Specials Page for Details

Because of the suspension struts, there's a little shaping of the retract bays to be done to get a good fit.


Then apart from drilling the holes, that was it.

I already had on order for the Giant Corsair, a Robart Giant Air Kit from Tower Hobbies.

It's half the price of the same unit here in the UK but it took almost 5 weeks to arrive. A combination of being on back-order from Robart & then held in Customs, with an eventual charge of £13. Still cost much less than buying in the UK.

However, whilst the Air Kit enables scale speed up & down, it doesn't work too well at the moment. There is at least a 10 second delay before the wheels come down & then they snap into position. Going up is a little better speed-wise but still a delay.

I emailed Sierra about this, thinking it could be a problem with the retracts but they said the Robart regulator was not good enough & that they had experienced the same problem.

they have shipped their own regulator to me, on the basis that if it works I pay for it & if it doesn't I return it. Pretty good service with good old-fashioned trust.

Next to fit the aileron servo in each wing. Very neat, all pre-formed bays with colour coded cover. Just had to drill holes for the screws in the servo bays.

Then the 2 outer wing sections were joined to the fibreglass wing centre section with epoxy

2 locator spigots & a one inch alloy tube in each wing. Sorry forgot to take pictures. Must have been late at night.

Plenty of room in the fuselage for kit

First fitted the rudder servo, which is a closed loop.


Then the elevator servo.


This is connected to the elevator by a length of hollow fibre rod with a connector on each end. Servo end just one rod & elevator end two wire rods in a V formation. Not the best idea when it comes to getting the split elevators even. I may change this to 2 servos & 2 solid rods.


The on-board battery switch, air-line, air pressure gauge, remote glow start & fuel filler are all inset on the starboard side.


The battery is fastened to the back of the fire wall so as to be as far forward as possible, then the fuel tank & air pressure tank.


The Cowl kit consisting of fibreglass cowl, plastic radial & ply backing, which I painted black, was next.


4 small hard-wood blocks are glued to the ply, which is screwed to the firewall,


to which the cowl is then held in place with 4 screws into each of the 4 hard-wood blocks


The radial is one solid piece & has to be cut & shaped.


Marvellous tool the Dremel. Nice neat fit & secure.


Now for the engine. Ashley had taken his OS 120 MKIII out of his Giant U-Can-Do so I'm trying it.


However, my feeling is it will not be powerful enough. One of the reasons being the excessive amount of lead to get the CG correct.

Because the engine is inverted, the throttle lever is quite high up, so it's not possible to get a straight run from the servo if using the existing servo tray


I couldn't find a simple pivot arm, so I've built a new throttle servo bay attached to the back of the firewall and in direct line of the throttle lever, which is perfect


The model is very tail heavy. I have had to add 14 x 50g stick-on lead strips to get the CG right. Most on the fire wall.

& 4 of them inside the cowl.


In old money that's just over a pound & a half. I'm not happy with all that weight, so I may add more hardwood blocks to secure & strengthen the cowl, which will bring the weight further forward, so less should be required.

Last the canopy held in place with 6 screws


Just need to find a pilot.

And the finished job looks pretty good.


I'm looking forward to flying it, so fingers crossed for some nice weather soon.

Stuart Josephs March 2008